Trip Planning Questions

What do I pack?
The entire Yellowstone area is very casual. You will want to pack clothes that are easily layered, remembering jeans will take you anywhere you go. During the summer, the temperature can range from 30 degrees at night to 70 or 80 degrees during the day, so remember to include a warm jacket for the cool mornings and evenings, some type of rain gear, and a comfortable pair of walking shoes. Don’t forget insect repellent, sunblock, sunburn lotion, and a back-up supply of any prescription medicines. We also recommend a good pair of sunglasses or eye-shades.

Horseback riders should include: jeans, boots or shoes with heels, and a lightweight jacket, sweater, or sweatshirt and a hat with stampede strap. A camera, gloves, binoculars or spotting scope are optional. Fly fishermen need to include: waders, long underwear for possible cold mornings, rain gear and a lightweight jacket. Additionally, a vest for early mornings and evenings may be wise.

What is making me so tired?
West Yellowstone, Montana is situated at an altitude of 6,666 feet and our atmosphere is extremely dry. If you live at a much lower altitude or different climate, we recommend that in the first 24 hours to drink at least 64 oz of water and get plenty of sleep. Most people adjust within the first day. If you plan any mountain trail or high altitude riding or hiking, make sure to bring plenty of water. And remember, with these high altitudes it is easy to sunburn.

Horseback Riding Questions

What is the age limit?
A child must be 8 years of age or older on the day of the ride. Corral rides are available for younger children.

What is the weight limit?
225 lbs.

How much experience do I need to go on a ride?
We take beginners all the time. Our wranglers are experienced and able to work with all types of riders.

Will a 4-hour ride be more than I can handle?
It could be. Variables would include: experience level, stamina, weather, knee problems. An initial 1 hour or 2 hour ride would be a good indicator as to whether a 4 hour ride would in your best interest.

Fly Fishing Questions

Do I need a Fishing license to fish on the ranch?
Yes, a MT license is required as the Grayling is state stream. Licenses are available at any of the Fly fishing shops in West Yellowstone. These stores will also be happy to discuss which flies you need to buy for that time of season.

Do I need to bring my own gear?
You are more than welcome to bring your own fishing gear but we do have complimentary fly-rods and waders for guest use.